Choosing your Wedding Dress
January 9, 2017 Wedding Planning
We have put together some advice to help you choose your wedding dress!
• First of all you need to find out what your money can get you, you have already set your budget so be realistic. Check out all your local bridal boutiques to see what designers they stock and then get researching on the internet.
• There is so much to choose from so think about what shape, style, fabric you are looking for, but don’t rule out other options completely.
• You must remember that what looks good on the model may not flatter your shape, everyone is different so be prepared to try on lots of dresses.
• Book an appointment. Don’t expect to walk in and try on dresses, boutiques are busy and mostly by appointment only. This is so they can dedicate all their time to you and help you find the perfect gown, so book ahead.
• Trust the opinion of the dress fitter, they have seen 1000s of women all with their own insecurities and dreams.
• When you have found ‘the one’ you need to find out what is included, how much any alterations are expected to be and if they can get the dress in stock in time.
• Do you need to pay a deposit? Is there a payment plan option? Don’t be put off by thinking you have to pay for the dress in full upfront. Boutiques offer many different payment options, but do be prepared to put down a deposit.
• If you are on a budget, or want that designer dress with out the price tag, then check out the sample rail. Most boutiques have one, so check when you book your appointment.
• Start your dress shopping 12-9 months before the wedding, if you are too prepared and have over 12 months until the big day there is a possibility that you will change your mind.
• Always go to your appointment or fitting in good fitting underwear, if anything it will make you feel more confident.
• When you have chosen the dress it is time to choose the shoes. You must decide on a heel height so your dress can be altered to the correct length.
• Accessory shopping is fun, but wait until you have chosen the dress. Remember that if your dress has lots of detail, be subtle and delicate with the accessories. If you have chosen a simple dress then you can add as much sparkle as you like.
• Most importantly ENJOY your wedding dress search, it should be fun, not stressful. This experience is often a brides favourite in the lead up to the wedding day, it is your time to feel like a princess.
TOP TIP – For your final fitting, which is normally 6-4 weeks before the wedding you must remember to wear your wedding day underwear and take your shoes & accessories. If possible book your makeup and hair trial for the same day so you really get to see how you will look on the big day.